Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Josh "The Punk" Thomson Speaks On Melendez' Performance

Thanks to Mario from Team Thomson for this.

This past Saturday April 11, 2009, Strikeforce returned to the HP Pavilion in San Jose CA, where Josh "The Punk" Thomson (16-2) was sitting ringside, observing the match between Gilbert "El Nino" Melendez (15-2) and Rodrigo Damm (8-3). Melendez recorded a spectacular second round knockout over Damm, becoming the Interim Strikeforce Lightweight Champion and will now face Thomson in a rematch.

Thomson, who currently holds the Strikeforce Lightweight title, was scheduled to fight Melendez, but had to pull out due to a broken leg he suffered during sparring. When asked about Melendez's performance against Damm Josh stated, "I thought Gilbert came out and showed everyone that he is an elite fighter in the lightweight division. His power was evident and it showed when he landed that right hand on Damm's chin. There's no question, if I had been healthy it would have been a very difficult fight for me. Melendez is always in great shape, but I saw something in his eyes this fight, that made me think he was on another level. As soon as I get healthy, I'll be ready to give him the rematch he deserves."

Strikeforce's attendance at the HP Pavilion attained an astonishing 15,211 people and was viewed by millions watching on Showtime Sports. In addition the gate generated roughly $750,000. "As I've mentioned in past interviews, there's no better venue to fight at than the HP Pavilion," said Thomson. "The fans in the Bay Area bring energy and excitement that isn't felt anywhere else. MMA will continue to grow, be vibrant in San Jose and Strikeforce will be the driving force behind that movement. I'm anxious to get healthy and defend my title against Melendez."

For more information on Josh "The Punk" Thomson please visit www.joshthomson.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks! The Punk is one of the most underappreciated fighters in mma. he should beat melendez again. Damm is not good.

Anonymous said...

Josh Thomsons official website goes to his Myspace page! HA!

Anonymous said...

Haha..pretty funny that his website is his myspace page. I guess he's either too busy to make one or hes in the process of making one so he saved the domain address first. Atleast, it helped me find him so I can add him to my Myspace page. HA!